Photo by Bee Jellyfish
BOO! I’ve gone missing! Well…sort of….
Not to assume a majority of people are interested in knowing my personal business (nor do I find a real itch to share all of it) but I have gotten some friendly emails asking where I’ve gone.
In short heres the turn of events that I’ve gone through in April, thus far:
- I moved out of my much loved loft space, and parted ways with my much loved room mate and our much loved internet
My previously mentioned and loved room mate James
- FedEx moved my material life over to Los Angeles and JetBlue gave me another month to soak up the things I love about New York and rub in my face (along with my grandmother) that this cross country move may be a very wreck less quality-of-life decision.
- For the month of April, I have had no internet connection from the couch I temporarily live on.
- The only thing that seems to connect me to the world of 1′s and 0′s is the Twitter app on my phone
- Turns out that I hate Twitter. I hate when friends retweet peoples replies to their mundane posts, as if to show off something that they can’t seem to see is completely insignificant to someone that IS NOT THEM! I hate waiting 3 minutes for a 3G network to load a link to decipher a cryptic message, only to find that it is a picture of a cat.
- So with that being said, I have stopped looking at my phone, and started running errands by walking around the city and absorbing as much of it as I can.
- I’ve been spending every available moment with whoever I can, because there is no way to fill the void that there will be once they’re not in my daily life anymore.
- I gave Charlie, my dog, to my grandmother because the thought of taking someone she loves away from her, along with me, is just too heartbreaking.
Being away from the internet has given me so many creative ideas. I can’t wait to share them, once I’m more settled in my new place, in May! Until then, here’s some photos taken durring my month of absence. a self portrait from my room, on one of my last days in my loft
Inside this bag is another bag, which held a shoe box, which held Alfie (my 3 year old snakes) body. He died in an accident involving too much heat, under the care of a snake sitter. He had a viking burial. Bee and I held a service and sent him out into the East River.
I have never seen one of my closest friends, Smo, work so hard on anything the way hes worked on the animation for the second season of the Adult Swim show SuperJail. It has been airing on Sunday nights since the beginning of April.
We’re all really proud of him. (photo by Genavieve White)
Thanks for taking the jumping photo above, and for letting me post this embarrassing moment of yours
Don’t worry. Now Genavieve jumps with more caution…and head gear
After losing my phone to the pits of my bag several times a day, I went to a friend in Chinatown and asked her to make me an iPhone case that wouldn’t blend in with my things and get lost. Mission accomplished. I haven’t misplaced the damn thing once, and every time I answer my phone in public, I get looked at as if I’ve stolen a teenage girls phone, from Harlem. LOVE it!
I’m really going to miss New York and all of the grime and venerability that it has offered me as inspiration.