I’ve passed the public library in Bryant Park for a majority of my life just remembering the one time I went in there looking for a book, getting lost in jumble of stairs and hallways, and leaving feeling defeated.
The other day while passing there with Alex, I pointed out the fact that it was the building from Ghostbusters. Alexs face lit up and the next couple of minutes were spent standing in the cold while he tried to capture the massive structures appeal into his tiny phone. The next day we went back with notebooks, pens, paper, and tiny scissors. We spent the day in the library drawing and writing on top of 100 year old thick wooded tables, trying to restrain laughter, and following helpful hand drawn maps to simply find the restrooms.
I love finding places in the middle of such a loud and congested city that are a safe haven for high ceilings, bright sunshine, temperature control, and silence. I love replacing memories of defeat with better ones.
Someday I want to make a list of all the things I’ve failed at, and try them again. Its hard to think of how different my life would be if I gave up after I first felt defeated by:
- understanding the appeal of Sade
I love giving things in life a second chance. Heres some other things I love in my life, right now:
Putting things down on paper before saying it
Old comic book covers
Top left to bottom Right: Running around in my brand new Converse high tops after two years of wearing nothing but Doc Martens and high heels; Cute tupperware, Posing like Lionel; ridiculously bendy straws
Being aware enough to know when I’m hungry, that my eyes are always bigger than my stomach
Visually organized collections of things
Double double protein style burger from In N Out. Jesus Christ!
When someone sits in a way that I can see the soles of their shoes
Riding bikes and neglecting the seat as much as possible, to imagine what it would feel like if I could fly with absolutely other purpose than to be able glide
My label maker. Pushing the trigger to imprint every letter is SO satisfying
Blaming my hair for unimportant mistakes of which I don’t care to explain
- Dog dreaming noises
- The crackling loop of a record
- When Alex refers to me in diminutives
- Tove Janssons Moominpappa characters
- Debilitatingly good back rubs
- Pouring hot water directly onto a tea bag
- Getting under newly washed sheets and freshly shaved legs
- Being luck enough to see Refused play in San Francisco and New York within the same week
- The taste of something healthy after you’ve eaten far too many sweets
- The first day in a new bra
- Warm poptarts
- Going to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the theater
- Single serving ice creams with those cute yet unusable spoons
- LP’s that come with mp3 downloads
- Having some of my photos up for sale on Zerofriends!
- Imagining how much more fun it would be if the Occupy movement was more like the fight to keep the community center in Breakin’ 2
- A dry sponge in the sink just waiting to be expanded by the hot suddsy water that I’m inevitably about to feed it
- Alexs grandma for calling me a “skinny little thing” and putting a snake in a choke hold
- Singing the Jigglypuff song
- Getting film back from my favorite developing place in the city
- Saying the words “hiccup” and “cherry coke”