Back around Halloween, my friend Derek and I went on a hunt around the artificial pumpkin patches of Los Angeles for the perfect sized pumpkins to carve and place on our heads.
The process was really simple and fun…and a bit of a mess.
Derek documented the process I used to make mine, with his iPhone.
Heres how to fit yourself for a pumpkin mask:
- Cut the pumpkin as if it were a slice of pie, from the bottom to midway up the back of where you plan on the face being
- Rip out its pumpkin guts (do NOT eat them raw. It tastes like organic garbage vomit) and scrape it until its shallow/ lightweight
- Try fitting your head into the pumpkin.
- If it doesn’t fit at first, cut WIDER but not higher to the stem of the pumpkin. (I say this because Derek cut his pumpkin head too high up and had a hard time keeping it from falling off.)
A series of poor choices are illustrated in this image, actually…
Heres some tips on making your face:
- Cut 1 hole where you think an eye should go
- put the pumpkin on your head, and mark where you plan on cutting the other with the assistance of a pen and a mirror.
- The less space you cut open, the less people can see your face, the creepier the head becomes.
Wearing a pumpkin mask is SO fun! You can do so many things in disguise like:
Get all of your shopping done*
Practice your football tosses in the house
Go on a hot date.
Take fun photos
Get too drunk on your date and cry because no one can see you!
Photos by Chloe Rice
*Photo montages taken by the toy camera wizard, Derek Woods