I’m spending my first christmas on the west coast, this year! Growing up, my favorite Christmas things to do were:
- ice skating in Rockefeller Center
- going to see the Radio City Christmas Show with my grandma
- playing in the snowy parts of the street that were fenced off for trash bins, since those were the parts not yet soiled by dogs.
Despite the fact that I’m in warm California, I’ve already covered those Christmas traditions the best I could:
- Alex and I went ice skating at an outdoor rink in our neighborhood
- You could now watch the Radio City Christmas Show on Netflix, and feel like you’re in New York from anywhere!
- In California, they call their snow “rain” and there was a ton of it to run around in, this weekend.
And I’m starting to make new ones in my new home. The two of us are celebrating our little Christmas, on Christmas Eve. This means that Christmas Eves Eve was pretty significant thing to document.
I watched Christmas movies, decorated cards, wrapped gifts, cuddled pups, made dinner, stitched stockings, and drove around looking at peoples intricate house lights.
I like the idea of traditions. Starting new ones and sticking to old ones. Do you have any holiday traditions, of your own?
Happy new year! For me, 2011 was awesome! I got to travel and be introduced to so many amazing new people and new adventures and new music!
Some highlights (and photos I took) in 2011 included:
- Walking around Chicago in the rain
- Trying migas for the first time in Austin, TX
- Jumping on tons of other peoples beds
- Surviving the Rapture
- Surviving Los Angeles
- Having something I started in New York, get displayed all the way in Norway
- Screaming until my throat burnt when Halloween came around
- Having two of my photos put into a gallery show
- Having my photo published in AP magazine
- Teaching myself Illustrator enough to start playing with my food
- Breaking my addiction to Puzzle Quest
- Finally getting a big kid WordPress blog up
- Creating the perfect cookie recipe
- Learning the easiest and most efficient way to clean out a blender without a sponge
- Finding fun things to make out of hand turkeys
- Going to Disneyland twice!
- Learning how to break open a sea urchin and eat its fresh delicious insides
- Being introduced to Death
- Learning how to curl my hair with a flat iron
- Creating a fake religion
- Learning how to let go of jerks
- Finally going to the caves in Malibu
- Showed myself how to make a podcast
- Holding a handstand for more than 5 seconds
- Hiking around the Manson family compound
- Shooting fashion week
- The TV series Episodes
- Learning to draw with light
- Learning how to make .gif files
- Embracing the humor from being sporadic and random
- Being in New York for a hurricane scare, after having lived in Florida
- Singing silly songs
- Dancing silly dances
- Videoing silly videos
- Getting through hard times with the help of packs of cigarettes, whiskey, and Matt
- Getting through my enjoyment for whiskey and chain smoking immediately after that
- Renewing my passport
I’m SO excited about 2012. I’ve been compiling a list of goals for the year. Some are serious but most are silly. I did it last year and didn’t even realize that I not only accomplished almost everything I had written down, but I’ve become in love with the things I challenged myself to do.
One of my goals for 2011 was to order something off of a menu that I couldn’t pronounce. Because of this, I now LOVE guanciale! Now I always find myself ordering unknown things off menus.
Some silly ones for 2012 include:
- Take at 10 photos with my 35mm camera that I’m really happy with
- Try new teas
- Make a new hoodie that fits me perfectly
- Walk around barefoot in a place where I probably shouldn’t
- Do a cartwheel in a different country
- Make something fun with stop animation
- Take pictures of intimidating strangers
- Learn to use a pogo stick
- Play hide and seek with a ton of people
- Take part in an activity thats fun and will make it sweat profusely
- Host an event that involves making invites and party favors
In 2011, I made a mix for myself every month. It consisted of new music that was shared with me, songs that I forgot how much I loved, songs that I could never get enough of, ect. The other day, I made 2 compilations of the music I pulled from those 12 individual mixes as an ultimate mix of songs that will remind me of 2011, to share with you!